Thursday, January 27, 2005

Little Steps Make Big Smiles

It is my week to have Keira, and I can't believe how much she has grown in a week. My ex and I share custody so he has her a week and I have her a week. It works out great. But it seemed this time she had grown so much since last Wednesday. She is 19 months old, and is now just starting to walk. I know, she is sure taking her time compared to the other kids. But that is just fine to me. She is a late bloomer. I was quite stressed out as a mother constantly asking the doctor at her visits, "What am I doing wrong? Why isn't she walking?" My doctor basically said that there is nothing you could do to prolong the desire to walk. She will do it time. She is a late bloomer. It happens. Well I have read about these late bloomers. Those parent magazines make you feel like you have to be on same schedule of other children. It is not fair. You start pointing the blame at yourself. I was constantly working with her on reading and talking. As a new mother I thought the physical changes would happen naturally, but the verbal and mental skills is what needs work on. Don't get me wrong, I worked with her physically, but she would just prefer me talking with her, reading to her, and singing songs. Hey, it worked great.
But now 9 months later and and some visits to the Physical Therapist she now has the confidence to do the things we have been longing to see. We did do the physical therapy after she turned 16 months old. Ok, I broke down and needed help. But last night I had the first sight of her talking 5-6 steps towards me. What a joy! I then realize how cool this was. Being a parent.
I had no idea how this little person could make me feel so important. I don't know what I would do without her.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home